Quality Management (Product Safety and Quality Assurance)
The Product Safety Subcommittee under the CSR Committee and its implementation bodies, namely the Product Safety Review Conference and Quality Assurance Promoters Conference, are responsible for all matters relating to product safety and quality assurance within the Kaneka Group.
Quality Management Activities
Ｋ Ｊ Ｗ
We at the Kaneka Group strive to benefit society and satisfy our customers, through providing a stable supply of safe and reliable products. To that end, we undertake quality management activities to ensure the safety and quality of our products at all stages of design, development, manufacturing and sales.
In fiscal 2016, related activities included the following:
- We inspected the status of product tests to verify conformity with laws and regulations as well as with certification and accreditation criteria.
- We conducted on-site inspections of food logistics management in terms of legal compliance and food defense and found no problems.
- We undertook a range of activities to build the capacity of our employees, including through outside seminars and in-house lectures by external experts.
- We provided employees in the business and research divisions with e-learning regarding quality control as part of strengthening the foundation of quality management.
Product Safety Review Conference
Ｋ Ｊ Ｗ
Due to expanded business operations and diversified activities of the Group, we need to conduct an increasing number of reviews of our new services and products.
To respond to emerging opportunities in a timely and speedy manner, in fiscal 2016 the administration office of the Product Safety Review Conference carried out related pre-consultations (hearings).
Moreover, for products in new business fields, we involved external experts in the reviews, receiving their input from the initial stages of product development.
Chemical Substance Management
Ｋ Ｊ Ｗ
Internationally, regulatory systems are becoming more stringent in order to achieve appropriate management of chemical substances related to consumer products.
We strictly follow Japanese and international laws and regulations, and also actively offer information for the proper handling of our products, through displaying the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS) labels and providing a safety data sheet for products.
We will also continue our efforts on information disclosure, including working with the Japan Initiative of Product Stewardship (JIPS), an initiative supported by the Japan Chemical Industry Association, which promotes voluntary efforts within the chemical industry to minimize chemical risks.
In addition, we revised and publicized the internal standards for chemical risk assessment to respond to the Revised Industrial Safety and Health Act, which came into force in 2016.
Audits and Inspections
Ｋ Ｊ Ｗ
Companies within the Kaneka Group regularly undergo reviews and audits by external organizations, based on established standards and criteria such as the ISO 9001 standards.
In addition, we are working to improve our performance through CSR safety and quality inspections and internal auditing.
In fiscal 2016, the CSR safety and quality inspections included:
- We conducted inspections involving external experts in the pharmaceutical and medical device businesses as well as functional food products.
- In addition to continued efforts to clarify the strengths and weaknesses of our CSR activities through quantitative evaluations, we continued to derive best practices for adoption by all plants of the Kaneka Group.
- We revised the internal audit standards and conducted auditor training to further strengthen our auditing capability.
CHECK & ACT
Based on a review by the Product Safety Subcommittee, we will continue to improve the quality management system, while taking into account business reforms and product commercialization.