Kaneka inks OEM deal with Terumo Corporation to supply PTA balloon catheters Looking to expand aggressively in EU markets
February 09, 2011
* PTA (percutaneous transluminal angioplasty) is a procedure for dilation of constricted or blocked areas in peripheral blood vessels, usually in the arms or legs, by inflating a balloon at the tip of a catheter a tubing as thin as about 1 mm in diameter).
The OEM agreement represents a perfect fit for Kaneka and Terumo. Kaneka, having established a strong presence in Japan with high-performance PTA balloon catheters featuring flexible tips, low-profiled balloon and enhanced shaft pushability for passing through tight lesions, is now keen to move into the previously unchartered area of Europe. Terumo, meanwhile, boasts a marketing network spanning seven countries in Europe and is looking to boost its catheter business operations through an expanded product range.
Kaneka has identified health care as a key growth area. In particular, the European market for PTA balloon catheters is estimated to be worth around 5 billion yen, second to the United States. It is anticipated that the OEM agreement will raise awareness of high-performance Kaneka products in this key marketplace and produce an immediate boost in sales.
1) Main business Manufacture and sales of medical products, equipment, and pharmaceutical products
2) Headquarters: 2-44-1 Hatagaya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
3) Representative: Yutaro Shintaku, Representative Director & President
4) Capital: 38.7 billion yen
Kaneka Medix Corporation
1) Main business Production, importing and retailing of medical equipment, machines and apparatus
2) Headquarters: 3-2-4 Nakanoshima, Kita-ku, Osaka
3) Representative: Akihiko Iguchi, President
4) Capital: 450 million yen (100% subsidiary of Kaneka Corporation)